November is Diabetes Awareness Month.
There are two types of Diabetes; Type 1 and Type2.
Here are some facts regarding Type 2 Diabetes:
- Type 2 Diabetes is the most common form of Diabetes
- In Type 2 diabetes, your body does not use insulin properly
- Type 2 diabetes is treated with lifestyle changes, oral medications, and insulin
- Type 2 Diabetes usually gets worse over time
- Type 2 diabetes is more common in African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, and Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, as well as the aged population
- Over time, diabetes can damage the eyes, kidneys, nerves, and heart
- Risk factors for developing Type 2 diabetes:
- history of hyperglycemia, prediabetes, and/or gestational diabetes
- overweight and obesity
- physical inactivity
- genetics (family history, race/ethnicity)
- high blood pressure
- abnormal cholesterol
More information about diabetes can be found on the American Diabetes Association website at www.diabetes.org.